Monday, January 26, 2009

Chili Impaired

I love chili. It's one of my favorite meals. There's just one problem - I can never make it right. It seems so simple, yet mine always turns out wrong. I've tried a bunch of recipes and I still can't get it right. Not enough flavor. The beans aren't cooked enough. Too spicy. Whatever.

I found a recipe online that had a lot of good reviews. I decided to try it. It looked so good. I even doubled the recipe to give some to my sister-in-law. I dished it up and we sat down to eat as a family. Long story short, the boys ended up eating cereal for dinner. Bryan and I ate the chili, but also ate a lot of bread with it. It was just a little too spicy - okay, really spice. We were sweating by the time we were done. And I like spicy food.

Bryan was trying to be really nice. As he is shoving loaves of bread into his mouth to tame the kick of the chili, he says to me, "It's really good. I really like it. But I can see why other people won't like it." What?!? That doesn't help at all. Then he says, "We can't give this to Mindy." Duh.

Now I have an entire pot of chili in my refrigerator, sitting there being all spicy and not being eaten. I think I am chili-jinxed. So if anyone has a good recipe, please share it with me so I can probably ruin it.

On another note, I accidentally poured lemonade into Trey's cereal this morning instead of milk. I didn't even notice it until I gave it to him and he looked at me all weird.

5 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

Teri's chili recipe
Drive to store...go to chili aisle...pick-up can of Nalley's chili...drive home...open can...dump into pot...warm...serve and enjoy! works every time!

I love to make a lot of things...chili is NOT one of them!

jaci said...

Oh Jamie you are funny! Hey I've tried chili also and can't get quite right either! I do have a really good taco soup recipe that I make all the time that is kind of like chili that I never screw up on. I will give you that to try, it's super easy! It made me laugh to picture you sweating and Bryan eating all the bread! You are so cute! Hey at least you are trying!

Mer said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, your mom has a chilli story just like that one, right? I love it! I wish I had a good recipe, but I don't. I'm actually going to try a new chilli recipe sometime this week, so I'll let you know how it goes. I loved the little blurb about the lemonade, too. That is totally something I would do.

Markalie said...

I have a good one. I will e-mail it to you. If it is not to your liking though, please don't blog about it. LOL!

Julia said...

I have a good, easy, easy recipe. I have given up on dried beans, though. I used canned. I'll post it later, as I have an army of kids waiting for diaper changes...