Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ewe...Kisses From Mom

Kevin recently informed me that he will no longer be kissing me goodbye when I drop him off to school. In Kindergarten it was okay. He would even run up to me and hug me when I volunteered in his class. Now in first grade, he is older and cooler. Kissing your mom in front of everyone diminishes your status. I say goodbye to him for seven hours, and all I get are "props" or "knuckles" or whatever you want to call it. Boo.

Why do they have to grow up so dang fast? When he was little, I would get kisses all of the time. Multiple kisses. He held my hand everywhere we went. (That, too, is off limits in front of his friends). He would snuggle for hours. He still snuggles, and I cherish every minute of it because I know that will also one day be gone. Stop growing!

The other night, Kevin came up to me out of the blue and gave me a big ol' smackaroo right on the cheek. I was in shock. A kiss with no begging, bribing or forcing? I wanted to let him know how much I appreciated this grand gesture, and this is how the conversation went.

Me: "Thank you so much for that! Whenever you give me a kiss..."

Kevin: "...you'll give me a dollar?"

Me: "Um, no! I was going to say that whenever you give me a kiss it makes me the happiest mom in the world."

Kevin: "Oh.....but will you give me a dollar?"

Me: "NO!"

Happy mom moment officially over. But it did provide a good laugh.

Little does Kevin know that after he has fallen asleep for the night, I tuck him in bed one last time and kiss his cheeks and face all over to make up for the lost ones during the day.

I love you, Kevin! Mmmwahh.

3 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

ummm...I too would like a dollar? Here's to wishing my son says such clever and hilarious things!

The Christensens said...

Jamie, it was fun to see you last week. I'm going to be sad when my boys are too cool.

DeDe said...

I know that day is going to come for me sooner than later...you've reminded me that I need to cherish these times! Thank you! :-)