Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween

Kevin starts thinking about what he wants to be for Halloween months in advance. This year, he gave me three top choices for costumes (after I shot down being a shark for the third year in a row). They were: Spinasaurous, Megaladon (that's a prehistoric shark), and Giant Squid. Why can't he be a pirate, or a mummy, or Superman? Until he was about three years old and taught me all about these weird creatures, I had no clue they even existed. After searching for costumes, patterns, and ideas for any of these costumes, I came up blank. I finally convinced him to be a scuba diver. After all, he does want to be a marine biologist. Scuba divers swim with sharks and squids. I made the costume for really cheap, and he ended up loving it! He's already warned me that next year he wants to be an octopus or an aligator gar - yes, that's a real fish. I didn't believe him until he showed me in a book.

Trey, on the other hand, is not a costume type of person. I can't even put most basic clothing articles on him without him finding something wrong with them. He doesn't wear hats. He hates layers of clothing. He won't wear belts. Anything g that isn't your basic t-shirt and jeans is a no-go for Trey. It's just not worth it to even try. But he is a sports freak. So I put a jersey on him and called him a basketball player. He was estatic and wore the jersey five out of the seven days before Halloween.

We had great Halloween, but I am glad that it's over. Between church, family, friends and school, the boys had 7 different occassions where they wore their costumes. I will be happy not to see those costumes anytime soon. Or ever. The night before Halloween, we had a party with their Salmon cousins at our house, which was a lot of fun. Then Halloween night, the boys went trick-or-treating and we had family over for chili and cider. Yummm...

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Jamie, cute boys, your youngest sounds like my oldes, no hats, no spiky hair, no collar shirts (that would mean it would be church if he has to wear that) only t-shirts and "soft pants" (like warm ups) he will not wear jeans or anything. They are so funny how particular they are! Glad you have a blog, very cute!