Friday, March 13, 2009

"I'm a total idiot, and if you put this on your blog - you're dead..."

Those are the words I heard from Bryan after about an hour and a half of frustration in the garage. What was he doing, you ask? Well, he happened to lock the keys in the van. It wouldn't be a big deal, except that's our only key. Thinking about it, we only have one key for both of our cars and our house. We should be smarter. Especially since it is the second time in the last six months this has happened. Last time it happened, we had to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a locksmith to come over for five minutes and open the door. Seriously - ridiculous. Not again. Bryan was determined to do it himself. He's done it before in his car (okay, we need extra keys...)

I opted to let Bryan run solo on this one. He needed full concentration. This is usually the kind of situation that leads to arguments between us. I just kept getting updates every so often of "I'm almost there." Okaaay. After a very mangled hot dog roaster and a trip to Lowe's to get something "a little more sturdy," Bryan Macgyvered the door open by sticking his contraption through the window and pushing the unlock button on the door.

So what took him so long? Why did he call himself a total idiot? (He said it, not me). He was trying to unlock the passenger door - the door with the unlock button that doesn't work. The driver must unlock the passenger door from his side. Now, this knowledge is not new to us. We are reminded every time I try to get out of the car, and Bryan has to unlock the door for me on his side. So basically, Bryan spent over an hour pushing down on a button that clearly hasn't worked since we bought the van. When the little light bulb in his brain lit up, Bryan went over to the driver's side door and finagled it open in a matter of minutes.

Here's your sign....

Now if I were him, I probably wouldn't have admitted this to anybody.

12 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

We drove by your house on the way out the neighborhood and saw you by the back of the garage by your van...David honked...you must not have heard...maybe a little too interested in what Brian was doing...we should have stopped...David woud have had fun "helping"....

Jessica said...

That is really funny, but I am sure he was so frustrated!!

Julie said...

I haven't checked your blog for a while, but I LOVE your new blog header. You're so creative. I'm a frequent offender of locking my keys in my car also. Next time I'll call your husband! :)

Julia said...

Since you posted it, are you dead yet? I hope not. I'd miss your witty writing style (and YOU are pretty cool, too).

Mer said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Oh man, that is... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! Sorry, couldn't keep myself from laughing again. Love it. Love Bryan. Love the door that doesn't unlock. Hee hee, I'm still laughing!

Jamie Bailey said...

Not dead yet... I don't think he knows I posted it. He He He.

The Salmons said...

Jamie, I noticed you didn't post your key in the car incident this week. HA HA!!! A second key would be a great idea but it might take some of the fun(?) and excitement(?) out of your lives. You and Bryan are a great duo. Love you! Mom

Jamie Bailey said...

Mom - HAHA!! I have the option to only post the dumb things that OTHER people do - not me... Thanks for helping me out on that one. My car would probably still be running in the parking lot with the key stuck in it if you didn't help me!!!

Markalie said...

I love it. At least it was not running while you did that. I left my car running locked it somehow and could not find my spare for like 15 minutes.

barnhiselfamily said...

HA HA HA!! That is a man for you!! Darren and I did the same thing up in Provo when we were fishing....funny thing is we had two sets of keys and both sets were in the truck when it was locked. We had to hitch a ride back to salt lake to realize that we left both keys in the truck. We ended up with a locksmith too!!! YIKES that is good money for 5 minutes!!!

T said...

Once again I am literally laughing OUT loud! Cory had to come in to see what I was laughing at...

Unknown said...

That really sucks. I hate it when that happens.