Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Trey's Christmas Ornament

Every year around Christmastime, I buy the boys each an ornament for the Christmas tree. When they are grown and have their own families, they can have these ornaments to remind them of their childhood Christmas trees. I try to buy nice, timeless ornaments that won't look dated 20 years from now. That's the goal anyway.

Well, this year I thought it would be fun to let the boys pick out their own ornaments. We went to the store and found an entire wall full of Christmas ornaments. They were so excited. I thought to myself, let them choose whatever ornament they want. It will be more special if they get to pick it out all by themselves and it will show their personalities.

Kevin, who loves this kind of stuff, spent a long time going through each of the ornaments - touching, feeling, inspecting each of them to find the perfect one. First it was a snowman, then it was a star, then it was an ice cream cone. He finally settled on a candy cane. Not my favorite, but he could have done worse.

Surprisingly, Trey was even getting into it. I thought for sure he would have picked out the shiny car or the boy riding a bicycle. After much deliberation, this is what he comes up with...

Seriously?!? It's easily the UGLIEST ornament in the store. It's the ornament that I secretly said to myself, they better not pick that one. I know that I said that I would let them choose whatever they want - I meant, unless they pick that one. (No offense to anyone who may have this on their tree, but really?)

Once Trey makes up his mind, there is no going back. I tried my best. I showed him the shiny silver car and the boy riding a bicycle. I showed him snowmen and Santa Claus. I even tried bribing him with a trip to the candy store on the way home. Nothing worked. "No, I WANT the red bird."

So I bought the ugliest ornament in the store. I tried telling Trey that we should put his towards the back of the tree "so it would be safe." He didn't go for that little lie, and he put it front and center.

So for the next twenty or so years, we will put the ugly red bird on our Christmas tree. When Trey has his own tree, I will be sure to give it to him and let him know how insistent he was on buying such a special ornament.

(I think I'll be picking their ornaments from now on).

8 comments:

Kemp's Krossing said...

That seriously made me laugh out loud. That is so funny and cute all at the same time. I feel for ya. You will definatly remember this christmas...

Noble5 said...

That is such a cute idea! I love his ornament....I can just see him being so proud of that. We just may need to stop by and see it for ourselves:)

Mama Thompson said...

You know that's the ornament his future wife will "loose"...just like the crappy ones I had when I was a kid...I tell ya...talk about dated tree...come check mine out. The only good ones we have are from the past couple years...good on ya though for letting them pick..that would be hard for me too!

Markalie said...

That is the best ornament ever. It reminds me of my Grandmas tree 20 years ago. I love that you thought, I hope that they don't pick that out and then Trey did. How funny!

jaci said...

Hi Jamie! I just found your blog on Jeff and Jessica's! You are so funny, I have read most of your posts and you crack me up! Oh by the way Kraig and I had the same thing happen to us with Swoop! We are pretty sure it was Ryan Achabald?! I don't know if you remember him? That is so funny. I bet he did that to a lot of people. You have such a darling family. Your boys are so cute. It is great to keep in touch with you. I saw you on facebook, and I can't remember if I commented, but we haven't seen you at the mall this year, but I'm sure we will. If not have a Merry Christmas! Tell Bryan hello.
Love, Jaci

Julie said...

That is so funny. You are going to be SO glad you have that written down. I want to take my kids to pick ornaments, I only hope that they'll chose something equally memorable as that red bird. I love it!

DeDe said...

that is seriously the funniest thing ever! i can't wait to see it!
what a fun tradition - they'll get a kick out of it! :-)

Mer said...

Ha ha, I love it! Go Trey. We kind of do that too, with the Christmas ornaments. I have one for every year since we've been married. I'm excited to take Caden this year and see what he picks out. Doubt it'll trump the red bird, but we'll see. :)