Saturday, December 13, 2008

Our Gingerbread House

Kevin, Trey and I attempted to make a gingerbread house the other day. Usually, I try to control the decorating too much. This time, I let them do whatever they wanted. We had a lot of fun. Some of the highlights of the activity included:

*This conversation with Kevin...
Kevin: "Mom, you didn't become an engineer in college, did you."
Me: "Um, no. Why?"
Kevin: "Look at the house."
The roof had slid off. Again.
Me: "Oh, I'll fix it." Again.
Kevin: "You're not a very good gingerbread house engineer, mom."

*Trey freaking out because he got a small drop of frosting on his finger after putting candy on the roof. "Wipe it, mom! Get it OFF!" I know, most kids would happily lick their finger. Not Trey.

*Me knocking over the container of tiny, hard candy balls - sending them into a bouncing frenzy across the kitchen. And having no one to yell at but myself.

*Trey constantly telling Kevin and I that the candy needs to stay "organized." (I didn't even know he knew what that word meant).

*Kevin teaching Trey the lyrics to "Pinecones and Holly Berries." So cute. They both sang it over and over while they decorated.

*Trey jumping up and down in excitement because when he got the nerve to put another piece of candy on the house, he did not get frosting on his finger. "Look, mom, I did it! My finger is still clean!"
*Kevin telling me that I make the best gingerbread houses in the world. (Apparently, he forgot about his previous comments).

*Kevin making Bryan a map from the garage door to the kitchen where the final product was being displayed, so he would be sure to see "the best gingerbread house ever" when he got home.

*Trey giving Kevin a hug and telling him "I love you" with no prompting of any sort.

4 comments:

Rees Family said...

That is so awesome. I can just imagine everything that went on. Maybe you have to be a mom to imagine someone kids, that aren't yours, doing those things. I was just laughing to myself. The final product came out great.

Noble5 said...

How fun! What great kids you have. Hope that you guys have a wonderful Christmas. See ya soon.

DeDe said...

yours turned out a lot better than ours did. great job! :-)

jaci said...

So cute! Your boys are darling! I wish my boys would hug and tell each other they love each other! You must be raising them right! What am i doing wrong? It's just a constant wrestling party at our house, and they end up crying and beating each other up! Sometimes i just want to give up! Oh well it's never dull, I guess that is good right?! Have a very Merry Christmas!