Friday, March 9, 2012

A little tired today

Bryan has been out of town for the last two weeks. I told the boys that if they were good, I would let them sleep with me one night. I don't know why they like to do this so much, but they get so excited about it.

I know that when I do this, I will get about 3 hours of sleep. max. They want me to sleep in the middle. Kevin is on one side. He doesn't make a peep, doesn't move all night. I barely notice he's there.

And then there is Trey...

During the day, Trey's personal space bubble is about a 10-foot diameter. He doesn't like to be touched and he will let you know it. I don't know what happens to him at night. I scoot him all the way over to the side of the bed, and within 10 minutes his knees are in my ribs, his arms are draped over my face, and his face is buried in my pillow, right next to mine. And he makes noises. He grunts. He snores. He moans.

This goes on ALL. NIGHT. LONG. And just when I scoot him over and think he might not move, I get an elbow to my face and his little body is almost on top of mine.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson and put the brakes on this after the first time I let them sleep with me. But the truth is...

I kind of like it.

I know that at some point, they are not going to count down the days until they get to sleep next to me. They are going to want their space. Away from me.

At some point, Kevin will be staying out late with friends, coming into my room to tell me he is home and then going to bed without me tucking him in. But last night, he was content falling asleep snuggled in my arms. And when he woke up, the first thing he did was snuggle back into my arms while we watched Phineas and Ferb before we got ready for school.

And Trey...the child who I have to beg and bribe for hugs and kisses, the child who will rarely hold my hand or sit on my lap...unknowingly wraps his arms around me and nestles into me all night.

So every time I got kneed in the ribs, or elbowed in the face, or didn't have room to turn over, all I could do was smile and savor the moment. Because I know those moments won't last forever. As much as I try to stop it, they're determined to grow up.

I took this picture at about 2am. Trey's arms are like this all night long.

Love, love, love these kiddos...

No comments: